How can we help?
Choose a topic, or type your question in Ukrainian or English — spelling mistakes are fine. Each answer takes you straight to the right official page.
How does UACT Help work?
It matches your words — even with spelling mistakes — to answers our team has checked on official websites such as GOV.UK and the NHS. It doesn’t make answers up: if there is no checked answer, it tells you and shows how to reach a person at UACT. It isn’t legal, immigration or medical advice.
Free, independent guidance in Ukrainian and English.
With your permission, the helper remembers which answers helped you — only on this device.
Or choose a topic
Tap a question to see the answer.
Visa and Home OfficeHow do I see or prove my immigration status?
Your status is now an eVisa — an online record. Create a free UKVI account to see it, then get a share code to give an employer or landlord.
This is free. Never pay anyone for an account or a share code.
Visa and Home OfficeI have a new passport, address or phone number. Do I need to tell the Home Office?
Yes. Update them in your UKVI account. Out-of-date passport details can cause delays at the border and problems when you prove your status.
Visa and Home OfficeI can’t sign in, or my eVisa shows the wrong details
Contact UK Visas and Immigration. You can use webchat or phone, and they can help you recover your account or correct an eVisa.
Visa and Home OfficeHow do I extend my Ukraine visa (UPE)?
If you have Ukraine Permission Extension, you can apply for a further 24 months. Apply within the last 90 days before your current permission ends.
Visa and Home OfficeCan I bring my family to the UK?
The refugee family reunion route has been closed to new applications since September 2025. Partners and children of people with protection may be able to apply under the main family visa rules instead.
These rules are complex and costly. Speak to a regulated adviser before you apply.
Visa and Home OfficeHow do I find a trustworthy immigration adviser?
Use only advisers registered with the Immigration Advice Authority (IAA), or a regulated solicitor. You cannot get your money back from an unregulated adviser.
GOV.UK is the only official UK immigration website.
Visa and Home OfficeHow do I prove I have the right to work?
Most employers check your right to work online, using a share code from your UKVI account.
Asylum and refugeesHow do I claim asylum?
You must claim asylum in person, in the UK. If you have nowhere to live and no money, tell the Home Office when you claim.
Asylum and refugeesI’m waiting for an asylum decision and can’t support myself
You can apply for housing and cash support with form ASF1. If there’s a problem with your accommodation or support, contact Migrant Help.
Asylum and refugeesI’ve just been granted refugee status. What now?
Asylum support usually ends 42 days after the decision. Contact the council about housing and apply for Universal Credit straight away.
Courts and legal helpCan I get free legal advice?
If you have a low income, you may get legal aid — free legal advice — for example in asylum cases or if you are losing your home.
Tax and HMRCHow do I get a National Insurance number?
Apply online if you live in the UK and have the right to work. You can start work before it arrives if you can prove your right to work. It can take up to 4 weeks. Helpline: 0800 141 2079.
Work and your rightsWhat is the minimum wage?
From 1 April 2026: £12.71 an hour if you are 21 or over, £10.85 if you are 18 to 20, and £8.00 if you are under 18 or an apprentice.
Work and your rightsDo I get paid when I’m off sick?
Since 6 April 2026, eligible employees get Statutory Sick Pay from their first day off sick.
Tax and HMRCI think I’ve paid too much tax. What do I do?
Check your tax code and pay in your free HMRC personal tax account. If you’ve paid too much, you can claim it back there or by contacting HMRC.
BusinessI work for myself. What do I need to do?
If you work for yourself — for example cleaning or building — you must register with HMRC as a sole trader if you earn more than £1,000 in a tax year (6 April to 5 April). You’ll then do a Self Assessment tax return each year.
Work and your rightsMy employer isn’t paying me or is treating me badly
The Fair Work Agency (which replaced the GLAA in April 2026) deals with unpaid wages and exploitation. Phone: 0345 161 6000. If you are in danger right now, call 999.
Benefits and moneyHow do I apply for Universal Credit?
Apply online. If you can’t, call the free Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644. Citizens Advice can also help you claim: 0800 144 8 444.
Important: if your visa says ‘no recourse to public funds’, applying could affect your permission to stay. Check first, or ask us.
Benefits and moneyCan I get Child Benefit?
You can claim Child Benefit for each child you are responsible for. Child Benefit counts as public funds, so check your visa conditions first.
Child Benefit Office: 0300 200 3100.
Children and familyCan I get help with childcare?
You may be able to get free childcare hours or help with childcare costs. Check what you can get on GOV.UK.
Housing and councilI might lose my home. Where do I go?
Contact your local council as soon as possible. In England, the council must help if you are legally homeless or will become homeless within the next 8 weeks.
Housing and councilWhat are my rights as a private tenant?
Since 1 May 2026 in England, landlords can’t use Section 21 ‘no-fault’ evictions, and you can end your tenancy with two months’ notice. Landlords must not refuse you because you get benefits or have children.
Housing and councilHow do I find my local council?
Enter your postcode on GOV.UK to find your council’s website and contact details.
HealthHow do I register with a doctor (GP)?
Anyone in England can register with a GP. You don’t need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. If a surgery refuses, it must write to you within 14 days explaining why.
HealthI feel unwell but it’s not an emergency
Use NHS 111 online or call 111 — it’s free and open 24 hours a day. For a life-threatening emergency, call 999.
HealthHow do I find an NHS dentist?
Search by postcode for dentists taking new NHS patients. For urgent dental pain, use NHS 111.
HealthI can’t afford prescriptions, dental treatment or glasses
The NHS Low Income Scheme can help pay for prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests, glasses and travel to hospital. Helpline: 0300 330 1343.
Education and diplomasHow do I get a school place for my child?
Apply through your local council. If you’ve just arrived, contact the council’s school admissions team — children can join a school during the year too.
Children and familyCan my child get free school meals?
From the 2026 to 2027 school year in England, children qualify if you get Universal Credit, whatever your household income. Even with ‘no recourse to public funds’, your child may still qualify — ask the school or council.
DrivingCan I drive on my Ukrainian driving licence?
If you live in Great Britain on a Ukraine scheme, you can usually drive on your Ukrainian licence for up to 3 years after becoming resident (some people longer). After that, you need to exchange it for a GB licence.
If you passed your test in Ukraine before 28 December 2021, the GB licence will be for automatic cars only.
DrivingCan I exchange a driving licence from another country?
It depends on the country that issued your licence. GOV.UK lets you check whether you can exchange it and how to apply.
Safety and scamsI think I’ve been scammed. Who do I tell?
Report Fraud replaced Action Fraud. Report it online or call 0300 123 2040. If money left your account, call your bank straight away.
For visas, only trust GOV.UK. Fake websites pretend to be official to take your money and data.
Safety and scamsSomeone at home is hurting or controlling me
Call the free National Domestic Abuse Helpline, 24 hours a day: 0808 2000 247. If you are in danger and can’t speak, call 999 and then press 55.
Help is available even if you don’t have settled status in the UK.
Work and your rightsHow do I find a job?
Search for jobs on the government’s Find a job service. If you claim Universal Credit, your Jobcentre work coach can help too.
Courts and legal helpMy employer broke the law. Can I go to a tribunal?
First you must contact Acas for ‘early conciliation’ — it’s free and may solve the problem without a hearing.
Time limits are short — usually 3 months minus 1 day from the problem — so act quickly.
Tax and HMRCDo I need to do a Self Assessment tax return?
You usually do if you’re self-employed or have untaxed income, for example from renting out property. Register by 5 October after the tax year ends, then file online and pay by 31 January.
A late tax return means a £100 penalty, even if you owe no tax.
BusinessHow do I set up a limited company?
You register the company with Companies House. You’ll need a company name, a UK address, at least one director and at least one shareholder. Directors must also verify their identity with Companies House. Then register the company for Corporation Tax.
BusinessHow do I close my company or stop being self-employed?
A company that has stopped trading can be struck off the register with form DS01. It costs £18. If you’re self-employed, tell HMRC you’ve stopped and send your final tax return.
Bills and debtI’m in debt. Where can I get free help?
MoneyHelper is free and backed by the government. It helps you find free debt advice by phone, online or in person — you don’t need to pay a company for this.
Housing and councilHow do I apply for council housing?
Apply to your local council to join its housing register. Waiting lists are often long, so ask the council about other options too.
Children and familyHow do I register my baby’s birth?
In England and Wales, register the birth within 42 days at a register office. Registering is free. After that you may be able to claim Child Benefit.
Education and diplomasWill my diploma or degree be recognised in the UK?
UK ENIC, the official national agency, can give you a Statement of Comparability showing how your qualification compares to UK ones. There is a fee. Employers and universities make the final decision.
Courts and legal helpSomeone owes me money. Can I take them to court?
You can make a money claim online if it’s for £25,000 or less. There’s a court fee, but you may get help paying it.
Courts and legal helpCan I get help paying court fees?
If you have a low income or get certain benefits and have little savings, you may pay less or nothing. Most non-UK nationals can apply too.
Safety and scamsI was attacked or insulted because of who I am
This may be a hate crime. Report it to the police online or by calling 101. In an emergency, call 999.
Safety and scamsHow do I contact the police if it’s not an emergency?
Call 101 or report it online. Call 999 only if someone is in danger or a crime is happening right now.
Disability and careWhat help is there if I have a disability or long-term illness?
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with extra living costs if a long-term health condition or disability makes everyday life or getting around harder. You can get it whether or not you work.
This counts as ‘public funds’. If your visa says ‘no recourse to public funds’, check before you apply — or ask us.
Disability and careI need support at work because of a disability or health condition
Access to Work can pay for things like special equipment, a support worker or help with travel to work. It is not counted as public funds.
Disability and careHow do I get a Blue Badge for parking?
A Blue Badge lets you park closer to where you need to go if you have severe mobility problems. You apply through your local council on GOV.UK.
Disability and careMy home needs changes because of a disability
A Disabled Facilities Grant from your council can help pay for changes such as ramps, a stairlift or an accessible bathroom.
Disability and careI look after someone who is ill or disabled
If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain disability benefits, you may get Carer’s Allowance.
This counts as ‘public funds’. If your visa says ‘no recourse to public funds’, check before you apply — or ask us.
Disability and careI need care and support at home
Ask your council’s adult social services for a free needs assessment. They will look at what help you need with daily life.
Benefits and moneyI need help filling in a benefits form
Citizens Advice can help you claim benefits for free. You can also contact UACT — we can go through the form with you in Ukrainian or English.
Education and diplomasWhere can I find free courses for adults?
Use the National Careers Service course finder to search for free and funded courses near you. Its advisers give free careers advice on 0800 100 900.
Education and diplomasI want to retrain for a new job. Are there free options?
Skills Bootcamps are free courses of up to 16 weeks for adults aged 19 or over, often with a job interview at the end. Free Courses for Jobs offer free Level 3 qualifications to eligible adults.
Education and diplomasHow can I improve my English?
English classes for speakers of other languages are called ESOL. They are often free if you get certain benefits or have refugee status. Search for ESOL courses near you, or ask your local college or council.
Education and diplomasCan I earn money while I learn?
An apprenticeship is a real job with training, so you earn a wage while you learn. You can apply from age 16, and there is no upper age limit.
Education and diplomasCan I get a student loan for university?
People on the Ukraine schemes and people with refugee status can usually get student finance and pay ‘home’ tuition fees. People waiting for an asylum decision usually can’t.
Check your eligibility before your course starts.
Buying or selling a homeHow do I buy a home?
GOV.UK has a step-by-step guide to buying a home. You will usually need a mortgage, a solicitor or licensed conveyancer, and to budget for Stamp Duty.
Buying or selling a homeHow much Stamp Duty will I pay?
In England, first-time buyers pay no Stamp Duty on the first £300,000, if the home costs £500,000 or less. Use the official calculator to check your amount.
Buying or selling a homeIs there help to buy a first home?
With Shared Ownership you buy part of a home and pay rent on the rest. Schemes change, so always check the current rules on GOV.UK.
Buying or selling a homeHow do I sell my home?
The GOV.UK step-by-step guide also covers selling. If the property is not your main home, you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax on any profit.
Benefits and moneyHow do I open a bank account?
Banks usually ask for proof of identity and proof of address. If you are new to the UK or have no credit history, ask for a fee-free basic bank account — you don’t need to pass a credit check.
Housing and councilWhat is Council Tax, and can I pay less?
Council Tax is a yearly charge from your local council for local services. If you are the only adult in your home, you usually get 25% off. On a low income you may also get Council Tax Reduction.
Housing and councilDo I need a TV Licence?
You need a TV Licence to watch or record live TV on any channel or device, or to use BBC iPlayer. If you don’t do either, you don’t need one — and you can tell TV Licensing.
Bills and debtI can’t pay my energy bills
You may get £150 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount if you get Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit) or are on a low income. Most people get it automatically.
If you use a prepayment meter, your supplier may give you temporary credit or a fuel voucher. Your local council may also have emergency help.
Food and essentialsI have no money for food
Ask your local council about crisis support — many councils can help with food, energy or water costs in an emergency. Food banks usually need a referral voucher; Citizens Advice, your council or UACT can help you get one.
If you’re pregnant or have a child under 4 and get certain benefits, Healthy Start can help pay for food and milk.
Benefits and moneyAm I getting all the help I’m entitled to?
A free, anonymous benefits calculator listed on GOV.UK can give you an estimate. GOV.UK warns that the calculators may not give accurate results if you’re not a British or Irish citizen — so ask Citizens Advice or UACT to check with you.
If you are over State Pension age and on a low income, check Pension Credit — it also opens the door to other help, such as the Warm Home Discount.
Mental health and addictionI’m struggling with my mental health
If you or someone else is in danger now, call 999. For urgent help that isn’t life-threatening, call 111 or find your local NHS urgent mental health helpline. Samaritans listen any time, free: 116 123.
For stress, anxiety or low mood, you can refer yourself to NHS talking therapies — you don’t need to see a GP first.
Mental health and addictionI have a problem with alcohol or drugs
You can contact free, confidential local NHS drug and alcohol services yourself — you don’t need a referral from a GP. If someone is very unwell after drinking or taking drugs, call 999.
Visa and Home OfficeCan I stay in the UK permanently or become a British citizen?
Settling permanently is called indefinite leave to remain (ILR). Who can apply depends on your visa — for example, people with refugee status or humanitarian protection may be eligible. Time on the Ukraine schemes does not count towards settlement.
You can usually apply for citizenship 12 months after getting ILR. These rules are changing, so speak to a regulated adviser before you apply.
Tax and HMRCWill I get a UK State Pension?
You usually need at least 10 years of UK National Insurance contributions to get any new State Pension. Check your National Insurance record and your State Pension forecast online — it’s free.
Visa and Home OfficeI got a letter I don’t understand
Don’t ignore it — many letters have deadlines. Call UACT on 020 8629 2323 (Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm). We’ll explain what the letter means and what to do next, in Ukrainian or English. Please don’t send letters or personal documents by email.
Food and essentialsWhere can I find a food bank?
Most food banks give food for a few days and need a referral voucher. Your council, Citizens Advice or UACT can help you get one. Your council may also have emergency help with food and bills.
Bills and debtI can’t pay my water bill
Contact your water company — most have a cheaper ‘social tariff’ or payment plans for people on a low income. The Consumer Council for Water can help if you get stuck.
Benefits and moneyI disagree with a decision about my benefits
You can ask for the decision to be looked at again — this is called ‘mandatory reconsideration’. It’s free. You usually need to ask within one month of the date on your decision letter. If you still disagree, you can appeal to a tribunal.
Benefits and moneySomeone close to me has died. Can I get help with funeral costs?
If you get certain benefits, you may get a Funeral Expenses Payment towards the cost of a funeral. You must apply within 3 months of the funeral.
If your husband, wife, civil partner or — in some cases — the partner you lived with died, you may get Bereavement Support Payment. Claim within 3 months of the death to get the full amount.
Days out and discountsAre there cheaper days out if I get Universal Credit?
Some London attractions offer low-cost tickets if you get Universal Credit or certain other benefits — for example £1 tickets for the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace and Kensington Palace, £1 entry to Kew Gardens (also with Pension Credit), and reduced-price tickets at London Zoo.
You usually need to book online in advance and bring proof of your benefit. Prices and rules can change, so check the official website before you go.
Days out and discountsWhere can I go for free?
Many big museums and galleries in London are free to enter, including the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum. Local libraries are free too — you can borrow books and use computers and the internet.
Days out and discountsCan I get free or cheaper travel?
In England, if you’re disabled or you’ve reached State Pension age, you may get a free bus pass from your council. In Wales, older people can usually get one from age 60.
No answer found for that. Try other words, choose a topic above, or contact us — we’ll help.
General information, not legal advice. Every link checked on the official website on 5 October 2026.
Didn’t find your answer?
Call or email us — free help in Ukrainian and English. We’ll go through it with you.